Home Information Packs the HIP.

The HIP is no longer required under new regulations as of 21 May 2010.

The EPC is however still needed to sell or rent your home.

This is the latest relevant information we have in regards to the HIP and EPC, from the Government.

Home Information Packs (HIPs) put sellers of residential properties in England and Wales under a duty to provide a pack of standard information to potential buyers when marketing the property for sale.

The duty was introduced in three phases, depending on the size of the property, starting in August 2007 and ending in December 2007.

The duties relating to HIPs are set out in Part 5 of the Housing Act (sections 155 to 159). The Government has decided to suspend the HIP duties with immediate effect pending their outright abolition at the earliest opportunity.

The effect of this is to provide that sellers and estate agents are no longer required to have or to provide copies of HIPs with effect from 21 May 2010.

In order to ensure that people selling their homes continue to make an Energy Performance Certificate available to prospective buyers, we have also laid before Parliament the Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2010 which introduce a number of new requirements including:

  • a new duty on the seller to secure that an energy performance certificate (EPC) has been commissioned before marketing of the property commences where no such certificate is already available
  • an EPC has been commissioned when a Domestic Energy Assessor has been instructed to prepare the EPC and the EPC has either been paid for or has given a clear undertaking to pay for it
  • a new duty on the person acting on behalf of the seller to be satisfied that an EPC has been commissioned before commencing marketing
  • a new duty on both the seller and a person acting on their behalf to make reasonable efforts to secure an EPC within 28 days
  • all of the new duties carry fixed penalties where somebody fails in the duty conferred on them by the new regulations.

The EPC or Energy Performance Certificate which will be a required document, is carried out by a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA).

Download this guide to the EPC

FAQs about the EPC.

Direct EPC HIP information - Link to Government website about HIPs and EPCs.

Direct EPC information - Directgov website about the EPC.

tsolve all the problems of bu

Home Page